almost 7 years ago
The submission deadline for the FXCM Freestyle App Challenge is February 28, 2013. It's not too late to get started — check out our Quick-Start Guide and start building your app today!
If you've already started working on a submission, here are some tips to help you make sure your entry is eligible and well presented:
- Show and tell — in your description and video, demonstrate how your app works. Consider adding a one-sentence description of the purpose of the application to your description. i.e. Why do people need this application? What's the idea behind it?
- Ask others to test your app. Ask friends/family members to download and test your app so that you can fix any bugs/kinks.
- Save your submission as a draft today. Even if you're not done coding yet, we encourage you to start filling out your application now so that you don't feel rushed on deadline day. Choose the "Save as Draft" option, and come back to it later.
- Read the fine print — triple check the Official Rules. We don't want to have to disqualify your submission based on a technicality, no matter how small it may seem!
Make a great submission video
Aside from your app itself, your submission video is one of the most important pieces of your submission. In fact, it’s often one of the first things that judges and voters view. Make a great first impression by following these tips on what to include:
- What's your elevator pitch? Explain what your app does and why it’s awesome in the first few seconds. You can get into the details of what it does and how it works later on in the video, but treat the opening seconds of your video as you would a movie trailer or TV ad: pique your audience’s interest.
- Include a step-by-step demo — demonstrate your app's key functionality and features, and give clear instructions on how to install your app. While audio is not required, narration or text bubbles can help judges and voters understand and appreciate your app.
- Keep it simple. As per the official rules, your video can't be longer than five minutes. In the words of Leonardo da Vinci, “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”
- Don't wait until the last minute to upload your video. Keep in mind that the time it takes to upload/process a video on YouTube or Vimeo varies greatly depending on the format of your original video, file size, upload traffic, Internet connection speed, and could take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours or more.
- Get organized. Write out a script of what you’ll say/show in your video, and be sure to keep in mind all of the above!
Don't know much about making videos? Check out these helpful screencasting tools.
If you have any technical questions or would like to share feedback on the API, please visit the FXProgrammers Forum or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about the challenge, email email@example.com and include "FXCM" in the subject line.